Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Is America an Empire?

What do you think? I'd like to hear some opinions, cuz I think a few of you probably have them, but only if you can give your opinions valid support. No hard presuppositions please. Those annoy me.
And for those of you who would like to pull out your handy-dandy "I don't care" card on this one - More power to you! Unfortunately I've got to keep caring at least a little bit until I finish this paper.
I won't tell you my opinion (if I do in fact have one) until I finish this paper either. You will just have to wait in suspense for a while longer. I hope the suspense doesn't kill you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Janice said...

normally, i wouldn't share my opinion because as we all saw at new years, i do not like political discussions because they cause people to be rude to each other. but in this case, yes, the states would be considered an empire by dictionary.com.

"1. A political unit having an extensive territory or comprising a number of territories or nations and ruled by a single supreme authority.
2. The territory included in such a unit.
3. An extensive enterprise under a unified authority.
4. Imperial or imperialistic sovereignty, domination, or control."

yup.

2:03 AM  
Blogger Janice said...

oh by the way, i meant to add, i would consider "the people" or "the government" (whichever is more true, and i don't know which is) to be the single supreme authority mentioned in the above definition.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

I think the US is in a tough position. Ever since the World Wars which put America in World politics we've been sandwiched. The formation of the UN placed America in a 'world police'confederation in which they provide the most support. So if they don't fight in wars people complain, if they do people complain. As for an empire, meh. You could say yes you could say know. Technically the only territories they rule sovereignly (by themselvs are puerto rico and those in the pacific. However, they do have an extensive enterprise. I would not say it's comparable to the British or those during Imperialism, but I'm not naive enough to say there isn't a drive to control world politics.

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home