Saturday, December 23, 2006

My sister went into labor 3 months too early:

So on Thursday (which was incidentally my mom's 50th birthday) Julia (my sister who is here visiting from Norway with her husband) started having contractions three minutes apart. We thought it was false labor (since she's not due for 3 more months) and took her to the hospital. It turns our it wasn't false labor but real labor so she was transported down to Sacred Heart Hospital in Eugene and has been given meds to slow the labor. So far so good, baby is staying in there, before the medicine she dialated from 1 inch to just under 5 in only a couple of hours. We think she's still at 5 and has been more or less stable the last couple days, though she's still having contractions off and on. I just got home to rest a little and I'll go back down soon.
The really good news is that since we've had a couple days they've been able to give the baby 2 steroid shots to help his lungs develop before he is born, this means he has a really good chance at surviving. Also Sacred Heart has a very good premea baby unit. The hard part is that the baby will have to be hospitalized until about his due date which is March 23. At this point they aren't hoping to stop the labor, just to slow it, so we will have baby Daniel joining us in this world any day now. Maybe any hour now.
Pray that he will stay in there as long as possible. Every day he stays in the womb is an day he doesn't have to be hospitalized. He's about 2.5 pounds right now.
Emotionally we're doing really well. We actually had a pleasant day at the hospital yesterday. Julia was allowed to eat and she likes that. I think the exhaustion of the last couple nights is starting to catch up with all of us though, but really just pray for Julia and Viggo and the baby. I think that we've all been as relaxed and cheerful as we have been so far mostly just because of all the people who've been praying.
I'll keep you updated as things progress as much as is possible. If I can't cuz I'm down there and you are curious I'll bet my dad will keep his blog very updated too.

Merry Christmas everyone! God sure does work in unexpected ways!

2 Comments:

Blogger Béthany said...

Pam, let me know whatever happens. I hope the holidays are happy for you guys, it must be comforting to be together as a family for the first time in such a long time. Katie arrived to complete us, on Wednesday.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Megs said...

My dearest Pam, I'm praying for baby Daniel and your familly. I'm glad to hear that he's keeping warm in mommy. Much love on this Christmas Season.
love love.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home