Friday, December 01, 2006

It's Raining in Love

by Richard Broutigan

I don't know what it is,
but I distrust myself
when I start to like a girl
a lot.

It makes me nervous.
I don't say the right things
or perhaps I start
to examine,

evaluate

compute

what I am saying.

If I sy, "Do you think it's going to rain?"
and she says, "I don't know,"
I start thinking: Does she really like me?

In other words
I get a little creepy.

A friend of mine once said,
"It's twenty times better to be friends
with someone
than it is to be in love with them."
I think he's right and besides,
it's raining somewhere, programming flowers
and keepying snails happy.
That's all taken care of.

BUT
if a girl likes me a lot
and starts getting real nervous
and suddenly begins asking me funny questions
and looks sad if I give the wrong answers
and she says things like,
"Do you think it's going to rain?"
and I say, "It beats me,"
and she says, "Oh,"
and looks a little sad
at the clear blue California sky,
I think: Thank God, it's you, baby, this time instead of me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe all that stuff just has to happen first. But love really kicks in when you look at someone else and think, what could I do to make them happy, even if it costs me. You are very busy thinking about and doing that when you find that you feel glorious. That kind of love is learned, and it sure takes a long time (decades!) for guys like me to make progress on that.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Emma Rose said...

I love this poem... thanks for posting I hadn't read it in a while. :)

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home