Friday, August 14, 2009

Recetas Latinas Saludables

A couple weeks ago Michael brought home a little goodie bag that the "foodies" (health and urban agriculture department) at his organization were giving out for free. In this goodie bag was a treasure so wonderful that I must share it with my blog reading friends: A small little cookbook called Recetas Latinas Saludables, or Healthy Latin Recipes Made with Love. It is a collection of recipes published by Champions for Change gathered from Latina women in California which are healthy versions of typical dishes . Though my usual cooking method relies more on reading several internet recepies until I can come up with some combination that uses the ingredients I have on hand than on cookbooks, I have been cooking almost exclusively from this cookbook for the last couple of weeks and am loving it. (as is Michael) The ingredients are mostly inexpensive (especially living this close to the border), the recipes are all very healthy, and the food is DELICIOUS. Our favorites so far were the Sopa de Abondigas (to which I reccomend adding a healthy dose of cilantro) and Mango Black Bean Burritos.

This past week at the farmer's market I came across a second edition from the same group called Soulful Recipes - equally delicious and healthy looking soul food recipes. I can't wait to try it out!

Cooking these recipes not only provides me with delicious and nutritios meals, it was also a fun way to connect with the ethnic groups directly around our home. Now if only they would publish verions for Somali and Vietnamese food I'd be set!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pammy, barb h. here: Is it in English? Sounds like a great way to cook and a fun way for you to experiment with new recipes and foods.

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, a little slow sometimes. Just clicked on the link and not only is it in English, the whole darn thing is on line-way cool. Thanks for sharing. -b-

9:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I learned the Spanish for meatball soup when I was 14. I have been waiting 45 years to use that information. (but isn't it spelled Albondigas, ie with an L.)

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home