Saturday, December 10, 2005

Another simple pleasure.

Standing about 20 people back from the front of the line I regret my decision to buy a book at Borders so close to Christmas. "Dang holiday shopping" I think to myself. But just before my thoughts swirl into dismal pondering of the materialization of Christmas I spot him. Checker number 2. Dark hair, about 20-22, great smile. Quickly I do the math - I have a one in 6 chance, not good, but I'm not going to let that get me down, there is always hope. Slowly the line progresses. Now I am the 2nd to next in line, nervously I calculate the time remainders of each of the six chashiers with their customers. It's not looking good, he's finishing up with his costumer, handing her her reciet, the 40 year old lady in front of me is going to beat me to him. But wait, his costumer is asking a question... he's checking... now I worry it will take too long, the lady in front of me is called to register 4. Checker 3 is quickly finishing her tansaction. Hurry! I think. And then he's done, looks up "Next costomer please." He smiles at me as I hand him my book, he really does have a lovely smile. We banter mildly over the transaction. "That'll be $12 even", I reach for my check card then remember and say "No wait, I have money." "Yes, money will be good... you'll need that." I smile and hand it to him. He smiles and hands me my change. "Have a nice day" he says. "You too" I say, with all the sincerity and friendliness I can muster. And then it's out the door and to my car. Triumph. 1 in 6 chances and I won the draw.

Haha, sorry if you don't understand that story. When one spends an entire weekend doing pretty much nothing but studying one must glean all the enjoyment one can from every daily transaction.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Pamela,

Yes. Definitely a weird little story for a father to read. Oh well, I guess if you can read about me being a racist, a druggie, and a nihilist, then I can read about you hoping to be checked out by the guy you've been checking out.

Love,

Dad

Dad

8:19 PM  
Blogger ° ÐãVeØ ° said...

Just wanted to say, that was a truly awesome post. One of the best I've read in a while.

P(amela).S(chnake). Your dad is hilarious. I'm glad I got to meet him that one time.

8:53 PM  
Blogger kaylie said...

oh how i love cashier flirting! i look for that everytime i go to buy something. i think it satisifies this deep need to flirt and i don't have to flirt with boys i actually know and no one is confused! it's the little stuff that makes single girls happy.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

i'm not finished with the list of pics
under-construction
a good picture of you would help though

i get to see you soon, yeah!

10:39 PM  
Blogger Janice said...

pamela...you have just made my day. no joke. i love you so much.

hey...i get to see you soon. and maybe we won't get horribly burned this time and have to lay in awkward positions with as little touching our skin as physically possible. no more, "hey janice, i don't have a shirt on but come look at this!" three bottles of aloe vera later...wow i miss you.

soon! ew that makes me think of "soon and very soon, we are going to see the king..." which i always hated so much. ugh. no i refuse to equate my pamela with something i hate. disregard that middle thing there. i'm not making any sense anymore. see how i'm lost without you?

1:10 AM  
Blogger Megs said...

OH my dearest Pamela that is a winner, only because I know that all the ladies that read this has played check out bingo before!

Ps...your Dad is flippin awesome "checked out by the guy you've been checking out." hahah that's a post in itself.

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you dear pamela for your creative and unique look on those miniscule humdrum routines of a somewhat original life. you see flowers in these weeds. "she sees love where anyone else would see weeds."

1:47 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

thanks for sharing your adventures at the book store-you definitely have a gift for writing. so funny how our female minds will play those games with us for most of the time.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Court said...

I fully love this story pam, except I think about when you want to aviod the one cashier and you always end up getting them.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home