Thursday, January 26, 2006

Munch on this.

I just wanted to share some thoughts I had while reading through Genesis... or at least one of them.
Please get our your bibles and turn to Gen. 47:20-21 (just kidding I'll quote it for ya) "So Joseph bought all the land in Egypt for Pharoah. The Egyptians, one and all, sold their fields, because the famine was too severe for them. the land became Pharoah's and Joseph reduced the people to servitude, from one end of Egypt to another." I was struck by this thought as I read this: This too was part of God's plan - somehow Pharoah controlling all the land like that was part of his plan because God clearly made it happen (we see in the previous chapters how he obviously brought Joseph into power in Egypt and know that Joseph was very obedient to the Lord in all that he did). My immediate reaction is that Pharoah and Joseph are being very unjust, HOWEVER, for me to judge this plan, or God's current political and social working, by my own standards of what I believe justice to be is arrogant and foolish. I am not the standard of truth, he is. He is not good because I say so - I only know what good is from him. I am the marred one - he is the rightous one.

That's just something I have to remind myself of often so I wanted to pass it along to you all. My own definition of "good" or "truth" or "justice" is not necessarily what those things really are - God himself is is the definition of good and truth and justice. Therefore whatever he does, whether it aligns with my own thinking of those things or not, is good and true and just.

4 Comments:

Blogger Béthany said...

makes you think. I knew God was just, and God was Good, I just never assumed that His justice would always seem good.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pamela,

Excellent post! I especially like this last sentence: "Therefore whatever he does, whether it aligns with my own thinking of those things or not, is good and true and just."

I have been realizing more and more how much I tend to judge by the criteria of what I think about something (and especially how it impacts me) instead of judging by what God thinks about something.
I am supposed to conform my mind to the mind of Christ. I am not supposed to figure out how God's thinking supports my arguments or preferences.

Love,

Dad

6:39 PM  
Blogger Megs said...

pamela i just had a word varification that read pamwien. therefore your new name is pamwien.

sorry this has no relavence to your post. although i will say that i am so thankful that we are not the standard of truth. imagine. *cringe*

12:08 AM  
Blogger Court said...

Called you the other day. No answer.....=(

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home