Sunday, June 25, 2006

Day 2: June 24 (mostly)

My first day in Ecuador was full of surprises and new experiences – I have a feeling that these will continue to fill my days for the majority of the time I am here. The day started out with a bang, my first “welcome to Ecuador” experience – Bethany’s mom, Lillian was driving us back to Bethany’s apartment when the car stalled in the middle of a crowded intersection. No worries though, Bethany and I simply got out and pushed the car through intersection, amidst many honks and yells, to the side of the road and then proceeded to take a taxi. The thing which struck me most about this experience was how very un-striking it was. Life down here is so laid back, so chill, “We just roll with the punches,” Bethany remarked as we quite literally rolled the car across the busy street, “it’s too hot around here to get worked up about anything.”
Upon sitting myself safely (well relatively speaking… if you’ve ever seen the driving around here…) inside the taxi, I encountered my second welcome to Ecuador experience. I opened up my purse to find that it was completely filled with tiny little biting red ants. It’s hard to believe that such a small creature can deliver such a powerful sting. Luckily it goes away in a matter of seconds since I received many of said stings while trying to rid my purse of ants. The ants are just a part of life around here, little red reminders from God not to leave any perishable food (or water for that matter) out on the counter… or in your purse.
There are so many other things I could describe for you: the little apartment I will be calling home for the next five weeks - which contains everything we need and little more (I have to admit I am thoroughly enjoying the simplicity so far, but it is only my second day I suppose), the experience of crossing the street half way and then waiting in the middle until the other side clears of speeding vehicles (again not so much an experience as a new normal part of everyday life), the bus ride to block 10 and all the sights it includes, the open sewage in Bastion, playing foosball at the “carnival” (two kiddie rides, 3 foosball tables, and some candied apples) with some local boys, the youth group last night for kids ages 12 and up, the kids club this morning for ages 5-12 (and some younger), the thrill and wonder of taking a cold shower at mid-day (there is no hot water, but that is of little consequence since no one would want to use it anyway)… but that is all the detail I will give for now because I am well aware that at least half my readers are lost after the first required scroll. Anyway, I’d better get working on my lesson plan for teaching English in the Kindergarten – I start teaching on Tuesday, I’ll just observe on Monday.
Oh but I must not forget to mention – it is so very wonderful to be with my dearest Bethany again! And tomorrow in block 10 church is cancelled so we can all watch Ecuador play England (sacrilegious? perhaps, mostly practical though, it’s probably hard for you all to fathom what a big deal world cup is down here…).

My verses for this week are about using God’s strength: Colossians 1:28-29
Love you guys!

P.S. I wrote that on Saturday and it is now Sunday. Ecuador lost 1-0 but they played their little hearts out. It was great to watch it in the church with everyone. (We went to church in Block 6 at 8:30 and then went over to Block 10 to watch the game.

P.P.S. Bastion is a district of the very large city of Guyaquil. It started as a squatter community about 20 years ago and is just now getting things like plumbing and meters for electricity (they stole it off other lines before). It consists of 10 large “blocks.” we live across the street from Block 6 where the school and one of the churches are and they also have another church in block 10 which is about a 20 min. walk or a 5 min. bus ride away. The end.

3 Comments:

Blogger Béthany said...

actually, 11 blocks (the big hill you see is block 11)

here's a map, i think i told you i would show you one

http://zumar.guayaquil.gov.ec/htm/sistemas/caracteristicas/mapa3.htm

it is so very wonderful to be with you again, too! very weird to go through the motions of commenting on you blog, like any normal day, though, knowing i'm going to walk over to the school soon and see you.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Megs said...

BAH, if only i were strolling along to block 10 to see pam and bethany...I'm praying for you my dearest. don't you just love the everday things that become experiences to you!?! But soon they will be part of the everyday and you will enjoy them no less but not truly enjoy them again until you get home. So many of the things remind me of hte Gambia...
love you muchly.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Hey Pammy,
Enjoy life in Ecuador and all the experiences it holds for you. It will be fun to hear of your daily adventures. May God show you life in new and life changing ways.
PS Watch out for that simple living, it's catchy!!!!

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home