Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Happy 4th of July!

Yes, I know it’s the 5th to you all, but I am writing this on my laptop on the 4th knowing that I won’t be able to post it until tomorrow, the 4th. I had a lovely 4th of July, though it honestly had NOTHING to do with the independence of my country, I had fun today! And also I was glad in my heart knowing that you all were gathering for fireworks and apple pie and all of that. I spent my 4th of July with two Canadians in down-town Guyaquil – which is actually an incredibly beautiful place. It was good for me to see how beautiful Guyaquil can be… to know there are places you can breath in deeply and not regurgitate immediately from the smell, a place where there are no open sewers and very little trash on the road, a place with cross walks *gasp*! Still, I’m glad it was only a visit to that part of the city. I like our little, or rather fairly big, Bastion better when it comes down to it. Down town may have botanical gardens and tiled sidewalks, but there were no darling children running up to hug me, there were no heart of gold “gangsta” boys trying to speak English with me, there was no Bastion.
That said… we had a really nice day. Nikki, Bethany’s cousin who I also live with, and Nancy, a woman from Canada who’s visiting Ecuador for a couple weeks, and I hit up the town. We walked along the river. We had real coffees in a coffee shop. We shopped in the market (and I made some FABULOUS purchases I have to admit). And then we watched the incredible last 15 minutes of the Italy vs. German game over dinner in the mall. It was far from “American” but it was HAPPY and that after all is the main point of Holidays is it not? (well maybe there is some thing about remembering important events in history… meh… I still say Happy is the main point).

Before all of that, early this morning, Lillian (Bethany’s mom) gave Nancy and I a tour of Bastion and of the school that I work in and told the story of how the school and the community of Bastion came to be. It’s a lovely story. Maybe I’ll tell it to you some time if you’re nice. But I think that is all for today.
Happy 4th of July everyone!
We found this banner up in the mall. Unfortunately my camera got turned on a weird setting so it´s kind of blury. My favorite thing about it is that you must notice - I am the ONLY American standing there in celebration. I was also probably the only American in the mall, period! Aw... look what Ecuador did just for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home