Tuesday, February 19, 2008

At last!

I have always wondered just exactly how this whole second or third, once or twice removed thing worked. My cousins and I have argued over it at probably every family reunion for the past 12 or more years. I've heard different things from different people. FINALLY, while going through a far-too-detailed-to-be-interesting tutorial on kinship for an anthro class, I came across the following diagram and my questions have finally been answered. Therefore I am sharing it with you all in the event that you too may have disagreeing through firmly asserted pieces of knowledge on this topic.

Oh, and in case you haven't seen a kinship diagram before circles are women and triangles are men. = obviously is marraige, yadda yadda yadda, and you have to start with the black triangle, ego, and apply all the terms to him.

(On a side note, I think kinship diagrams need some serious feminist critique. Why must ego always be a he? Outrageous I say! Simply outrageous!).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pam-

You have no idea how excited I was to see a kinship diagram on your blog!!! I did a 90 minute presentation on this in my anthro class during my undergrad and I still get excited when I talk about it, but most people (Jake) look at me weird.

Next time you are home, lets have a kinship diagram pow-wow (that probably isn't an anthropologically correct word to use, is it...?)

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home