Thursday, November 17, 2005

Story of the day

Today before my history class I found my self in the middle of a little scufuffle (is that a word? I think so... anyway, I'm going to use it cuz it's cool either way) about the role of Greece in impacting the future. Basically this guy started trying to argue that they benifitted the world in no way what-so-ever. We pretty much just gaped at him. His only basis for this argument was "All the same philosopies were being thought up in India at the same time." "Western civilization sucks and is mean and Western thinking is stupid" - I guess therefore devaluing the importance to anyone who contributed to it's origin,and "Greek philosophers questioned everything but themselves"... not to mention the travesty of Socrates apparently being a "pompus ass." I'm pretty sure he just made most of this information up on the spot. I was kind of mean. I told him he was really bad at arguing. His response to that was to give me a sarcastic look and say "ah, yeah, ok..." reeeaall sarcastically and I responded to that - yep, see that's exactly what I mean - you're really bad at arguing. And then I was like, shoot! that was kinda mean... but I'll be honest, I didn't feel bad about it.

7 Comments:

Blogger ° ÐãVeØ ° said...

What an anus-features.
I don't think it was mean in that circumstance. That guy probably sprouts crap like that all the time and nobody ever tells him he is trouser-talking. It's for his own good. I think you are on the ball girl. I too find it hard to communicate with people who can't argue for shiznit.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh pamela, my spatula girl... when is our next read-in? <3 hannahdorr

6:44 PM  
Blogger Pamela Joy said...

Hannah -
how about thanksgiving break - it would have to be a boring read in... no seventeen magazine... but it could make reading all those text books more fun! Whatdoya think?
PS a guy from my home-community from church is having his art displayed in your new gallery at school. His name is spencer, he's rad, as is his wife, so you should definetly check that out if you haven't yet.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Court said...

ahhh.... pam everyone needs a good argument to keep the blood flowing to the head.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

trouser-talking? Explain. That's a new one for me.

6:39 PM  
Blogger ° ÐãVeØ ° said...

Trouser-takling.
This is where one cannot understand someone else, due to the muffling of the trousers when said person talks out of their arse.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pamela,

More and more I believe that what we say in response to those sorts of verbal assault is less important that what our intent is when we respond. My flesh usually cries out for me to put that person in "their place". i.e. I must keep my pride intact.

Using the WWJD criteria can be tricky, because we may think that that implies that of course Jesus would never tell someone that they were trouser talking. However, I do recall him using terms like brood of vipers, hypocrites, "you do not know God or the law", and many etceteras.

Try this question: What is the best way to show love to someone spouting baseless assertions and ad hominem attacks. I think it is quite possible to say, in love, "Your arguments are very poor". I think it is very difficult to think "And I pray that God would use me to help you" while listening to someone rant.

Sorry, I am frequently incapable of writing short posts or comments.

Your cousin Kate and her boyfriend should be showing up any minutes. Talk to you later.

Love,
Dad

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home