Friday, November 11, 2005

another mini sermon

1 Corinthians 4:3-5 totally rocked me last night. I don't know how I have missed this for so long but it is so important. I'll quote it for those who don't have a bible handy:

"I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed I do not even judge myself. My concience is clear, but that does not make my innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of mens hearts."

How often do I engage in the act of "introspection" searching out all that is evil in my heart to bring it to light. How often my prayers begin "Oh Lord! I am so awful, so prideful, so sinful!" or even "Oh Lord, I am awful because I don't see myself as the horribly sinful person that I truly am!" I do this because it's what I think I'm supposed to do. I think, how will I ever change if I don't engage in this self-judgement? But my thinking is wrong! It's not for me to judge, and it's not for me to change! It's HIS job, not mine. I often take the verse "search me and know my evil ways" to mean that I should search me but really it's asking Him to search me! Thinking that I have to do it is not trusting that he will!
So I am not negating the need for continual repentance - but that is over individual sins as we see them, it is NOT despairing over my sin nature at large as I so often do. Also, it may seem like this is just leaving it all up in the air, like I am ignoring the kind of person I really am - well maybe I am, but it doesn't stay there, I ignore it SO THAT I can put all of that introspective engergy into seeking HIM. The freedom is trusting that HE is working on me as long as I am seeking him.
I know I'd read those verses a dozen times before but my focus was always on the part about not caring if I'm judged by other men or not judging other men myself - but what a great little sentence in v. 4! This is the answer I have been looking for for a while now. It's a whole new level of freedom beyond what I have heretofore known! Praise the Lord!

4 Comments:

Blogger Megs said...

AMEN! That's awesome Pam, I love it when verses come alive on ya like that. You are wise beyond your years, the force is strong in this one....sorry I've watched two starwars this week..way too many!

ps. love the link ;) & LOVE YOU!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Leslie Puiras said...

Thanks Pam, it's what I needed to read. I just got my new car and a new job.. And I thought about how far away I've felt from the Lord in contrast to this passed exciting day... and I kept searching out all of the awful things I'd done and felt unworthy of the good stuff.. And so that's two gifts He's given us-- fair judgement by HIM, and good gifts by His GRACE.. so thanks again for putting that out there -- it goes hand in hand with the personal lessons i've been learning. ;)

8:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pamela, I really appreciated this latest mini sermon. It opened my eyes to see parts of that verse as if for the first time. It is also exactly what I needed to hear right now tonight. I have been struggling with a bout of depression the past few days and all the ugly thoughts about self that go with that. And of course I am guilty of a goodly passle of sins, including pride and self-righteousness. Your words help give me hope and bring me peace. Thank you. I know you will pray for me. Thank you for that also.

9:42 PM  
Blogger cs said...

That is totally awesome! I've never caught that before. I don't think we can ignore our own sin, which you said, but at the same time we have to seek first the kingdom of Heaven. If we dwell on those things that are drag us down we are oblivious to beauty found in God. I hate to say we often judge ourselves too hard, we all fall short of the glory of God. But should we not press on because of it. "May it never be!" We are to fight the good fight, not the perfect fight. We are to take hold of the hope set before us! I just had to read Hebrews 6. That's awesome!

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home