Monday, October 31, 2005

Pam's Literary Corner

I just read a highly enjoyable book and would love to reccomend it to you all. Through Painted Deserts is a true-life road-trip memoir by Donald Miller (author of Blue Like Jazz) about "Life, God, and Beauty on the Open Road." It's the story of a roadtrip from Texas to Oregon, through Arizona and California, he took with his friend Paul in their early 20's. It's an easy read that actually leaves you feeling enriched upon its conclusion rather than a few IQ points dumber as many easy to read books do. His converstational tone and frequent digressions of thought, as he reccounts his journey not only on the road but to a new level of faith, bring the reader along with him every step of the way making the him feel more like a close friend than an author.
Don now lives in Portland and coincidentally goes to the same church as me. I haven't met him but we have more than a couple mutual friends and/or aquantainces so I figure that makes me cooler than most people at least ;-) He's such a personal writer I feel like I actually know him though - a sentiment most who have read any of his books will concur with - and therefor stongly reccomend this book to each of you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

Pamela you've just fallen into in BIRGing (basking in reflective glory). Since we're doing that I went to school with an NFL player. Sam Gado had his first game sunday with the Green Bay Packers

5:26 AM  
Blogger Béthany said...

i want to read that book. i've been meaning to ask you forever if you've met him yet, since i know you go to imago dei. i was disapointed to see a photo on his webstie and discover he's not dashingly handsome...that would have made him just perfect, though, wouldn't it have?

12:17 PM  
Blogger Pamela Joy said...

Eh, I really didn't intend to BIRNG... I honeslty just liked the book and it was a fun fact to add in that he goes to my church. The truth is he's on the road speaking and what not 60% of the time and when he's here he's pretty much a celebrity and it'd be awfully strange for me to meet him, much less talk to him. It was a strange coincidence though that that guy that I made friends with who went to Capernwary in '96 also happens to be friends with Don... that's my only REAL association. great writer - I agree with you Beth, I don't even mind the looks though just wish he were about 10 years younger... you'll wish it especially when you read Through Painted Desserts. He describes his idea of a perfect woman and I'm all "Hey! I can do that!"

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home