Sunday, January 14, 2007

You know how I feel about this...

Today I was talking to a lady at church about joining her women's bible study (I love my church, but they always want to hook me into a college group or singles ministry... I don't need any more fellowship with people my age, I need real people! but that's a rant for another day) she was quite nice and after I wrote my name on her sign up sheet for information about the bible study she read it and asked if I prefer Pamela or Pam. I told her I prefer Pamela. I realized that since I do prefer Pamela it is silly to tell people I don't care... not that I care a lot... just a preference. So anyway, she acknowledges this. A minute later she calls a friend over to meet me and she says, "Hey I want you to meet Pam, she's interested in joining our bible study." Really? I mean I just told you. You ASKED. Really? Pam?
Also when I told her I was an anthropology major she said, "Oh! then you'll really like this study that we're doing studying the Patriarchs, it's all about ancient history." "Umm, well I don't really study ancient history so much as current cutlures, but yeah, that does sound interesting." "ooohhh, so that's different than archeology then?" Hehe. I really can't blame them though. This is a very typical response. Why would you know what anthropology is if you never took an intro class or had a friend in the major? You probably wouldn't. Is it snobby to have a major that normal people don't know what it is?
And then I got lost when I was trying to leave the church building. which is actually a high school. so... who's the dumb one now?
Those are my stories for today. I'm going to take a nap now. It's going to be glorious.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

So is anthropology the study of anthros then?

How are you doing Pamela? I just wanted to get my amazing joke out of the way before getting down to business! My apologises for that!

I am sorry for not replying to your e-mail from, ohhhh, last, ehh, September? I am sorry I haven't been in touch.

Please let me know how you're doing, what you're up to and how you and Jesus are

12:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pam,

Here is what M-W online says as the definition of snob that fits this situation best:

Main Entry: snob
3 a : one who tends to rebuff, avoid, or ignore those regarded as inferior b : one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste

To some extent we become snobs as God graces us with the intellect and the opportunity to learn things that many folks do not know. Even "normal" folks may not know.

If you genuinely thought you were better than the lady who was inviting you and quizzing you, then you deserve to be thought of as a snob. And many folks would be able to see it even if you were trying to act humble.

My pride pushes me into snob territory all the time. I pray to God that he will humble me to the point where I don't go there much or at all.

I love you, even when you are a snob!

Dad

5:13 PM  
Blogger Béthany said...

Oh Jonathan, that was hilarious...

yeah.
I went to the first lecture of an intro to Anthro class last week...decided against it. I do have to take Sociology, sometime, but i didn't want to take it at the same time as I take Psyc and human geography...too much mumbo jumbo altogether.

I love philosophy, where we get to talk about huge concepts like justice and truth...so much easier to oreint myself there.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Court said...

It's okay try telling people you are going to be an international tourism major. You get confused looks with..... so your going to be a travel agent.
Or even better is the complete denyal that they don't know anything about it. So they just smile and nod as there eyes get bigger like. As if say yeah.... that's kind of like and Fine Arts degree isn't.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Béthany said...

hey chica

In reference to you recent comment on my blog, he might not have been at capernwray, but will probably be in Canada this year. believe it!

4:52 AM  
Blogger Janice said...

yeah it's sort of strange how people ask "so what are you studying in school?" and then often get really confused when you try to tell them. are students universally misunderstood people? are students the new teenager? PANIC, if that is the case.

i get a lot of this:

"I'm a film student."
"So you watch movies?"

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home