Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Back to blogger.

So sometimes the internet networks here randomly decide that I can't access blogs anymore. I don't know why. Usually either the network at work or the network at home takes a turn. But for the last couple weeks they decided to both block me at the same time, so that's why no blog posts or comments. I apologize on behalf of Nicaraguan internet providers.

But tonight my network suddenly let me back, to my surprise and joy, so here I am.
Is it really August 19th already? This month is zipping. Here are some basics:

-I have been working for the past month on developing a survey to distribute to churches in Nicaragua. It is currently 60 questions long and has been pre-tested on a group of 10 pastors. Periodically I get overwhelmed or just mad about the project, but for the most part I'm learning how to fake my way through things I don't actually know how to do with surprising success!

-My host sister Wendy leaves tomorrow to begin University at Dort College in Iowa (very small Christian school). Actually, she left today, but then her flight was cancled and she got to return home for one more night, much to all of our delight. Kids usually don't leave home in Nicaragua until they're married, much less move to other countries at 18, so this transition has been a pretty big deal. Pretty much the whole past week has been spent with visits, parties, and outings relating to her leaving. I am sad to see her go, but very excited for her!

-Have I mentioned on here yet that I'm getting my wedding dress made here? I picked out fabric and talked to the seamstress. Looks like my wedding dress and viel, all together, are going to cost me a grand total of about $80. Not too shabby eh?

-My professor is coming to visit at the end of this month. I'm really looking forward to it. It will be great to see a familiar face from the mother-land, and he will be very helpful in figuring out outstanding questions about my job etc.

I think those are the big news items that come to mind.
Personally: I've been doing pretty well. Actually, I had a low three or so weeks there, but have been picking back up emotionally for the past week. Something about "culture shock" or something like that. The Lord has been so faithful in answering prayers. He leaves me no choice but to trust in his infinate goodness and care. This is a broken world we live in, but the Lord is working, and his plans never fail.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Plammy, your wrote " He leaves me no choice but to trust in his infinate goodness and care. This is a broken world we live in, but the Lord is working, and his plans never fail." I say, AMEN! and well put. Also an $80 custom tailored wedding dress strikes me as a very grand thing.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

$80 is an awesome deal. and it will mean so much more since it will carry so many memories with it too. i thought i got a good deal at $300 but you definitely have me beat! Can't wait to see it ;) oh, and don't worry about the culture shock thing. everybody gets it. by the time you have to leave you will be wishing you had more time there. then you'll have the awesome ordeal of return culture shock...yee haw!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

i'm so glad things are looking up for you, pammy.
and whoaa sweet deal w/ the dress! i can't wait to see it. and YOU! :D keeping you in prayers....
xxx

4:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your host sister is going to college only 15 minutes from where I did undergrad!! We may have had shirts that said "Friends don't let friends go to Dordt"...no worries, though, it's a great place. :) I MISS YOU!!

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home