Monday, June 09, 2008

Dificultades

Well I've got to be honest, I've been having kind of a rough time. The transition has been harder than I expected. My family is great, but very busy (no they're not American, but the kids do go to the Christian American school). My work is cool, but everyone kind of has their own thing going. It's been difficult to find my place (plus I've only been two days so far).
Because.... du du de duuuuhhh: I got sick. On Friday all the way until today. I'm on the upside of it for sure, but it's been a rough go around. On Saturday I was the worst by far: the only two places I was all day were my bed or the bathroom. Diarreah, fever, body aches, the whole ball of wax.
Yesterday I was feeling quite a bit better than before, but you know when you've been really sick and then you don't feel quite so bad so then you think you're all better? Yeah, so I tried going to church in the evening, and discovered I was still pretty bad off. No more digestional difficulties at this point, but I'm still very weak and have no appetite, and now for some reason I have developed this really severe head ache that just doesn't want to go away.
But, the Lord has been very present with me and has showed his love to me in many ways. I think the good thing is that it really made me feel more at home with the family. And it gave them a chance to really show me that I am welcome, even if they are really busy. They really are a great family.
So I didn't make it to work this morning, and that's kind of a bummer, all I've done so far is orientation stuff and I'm excited to find out what it actually is that they want me to do... but all in good time I guess. All in good time.

6 Comments:

Blogger MClauson said...

Aww Pamela thats a bummer it is never fun to be sick especially being away from home in a new place. I feel your pain though this new routine of getting up at 5am is a little tough but I know in the end it will be worth the struggle and pain. Just like your experience I know your in good hands and I know God is watching over you.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hola prima.

I have some suggestions for you based on my travel experiences.
1. Your symptoms (especially the headache) are consistent with salmonella poisoning (which I got once in the D.R). If you aren't better in a few days you need Cipro or some other gram positive antibiotic.
2. The headache could also be from dehydration. Make sure you are getting water or something in your system.
3. You could have amoebas. One natural remedy for this is dried papaya seeds, crushed up and swallowed with a class of water 2X per day. Papaya seeds have low levels of arsenic in them. They won't hurt you but they will kill any little bugs living in your gut. Take 5 at a time.
4. Te de oregano is awesome, awesome, awesome for calming a stomach. I wouldn't be surprised if your host parents don't already know how to make this but you boil loose oregano leaves and then strain them out using any of the multitude of juice strainers common in Latino households. Drink it while it is hot. You will feel better. It works on any type of tummy ache.

Suerte!
Kate

11:48 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

oh pammy, always sick :( that kate girl seems to have some great ideas about it, though! wish i could be so helpful. love you :)

5:16 PM  
Blogger heidi nicole said...

it looks like we switched places! espero que tu tiempo en centroamerica es lleno de educacion y adventuras. cuidate mucho y no tomas la agua!

2:55 PM  
Blogger heidi nicole said...

and you can also use dried (and ground) papaya seeds for a yummy black peppercorn substitute! since that luxury is hard to come by down there.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

babe i'm sorry! hope you feel better soon, i wish i were there to make the tea for you!

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home