Thursday, June 05, 2008

Ya estoy en Nicaragua!

Well, it's official. I'm here. I got in on Tuesday night. The last couple days have been filled with lots of learning, lots of rain, and lots of sweating. Overall things, are going well. Here are a few things:
-The organization I'm working for is really cool. It's a little difficult to totally figure out, other people who work there say they haven't quite got it figured out yet even, because there are so many different organizations working together "como un comunidad" (like a community) on many different projects.
-It's far more lush and beautiful than I was expecting. Nicaragua is called "el pais de lagos y volcanos" and it really is the country of lakes and volcanoes. The city itself is very spread out with no real downtown area because it was never rebuilt after the earthquake in 1979. I live on the outskirts and there are so many different trees and flowers. When it rains it drums up all of these wonderful tropical smells from all of the various plants.
-I flew in during a big thunderstorm, which made the plane very jolty and scary. Then last night there was a massive thunderstorm and we lost power. I believe during the rainy season there are at least one or two thunderstorms everyday. They start with distant thunder for about 45 minutes, then slowly big drops begin to fall here and there, and then all at once it starts pouring. Last night was actually kind of scary, but we made it through! We didn't have internet at work today because the internet tower on the premesis was struck by lightning!
-Today to get into work I walked up the main road. People kept honking and I kept thinking it was because it was someone I knew from work... but really it was just because I'm a gringa. I got to the side road - which can barely even be considered a road it's so bumpy and uneven - that takes me to work and waited for a moto-taxi to take me the rest of the way. It took a while to come so when it did come I ended up sharing it with two other men, sitting sandwiched between the two. But everyone was nice. Besides honking and staring, I don't think the machismo will be too big of a problem.
-My host dad is a pastor, a lawyer, and the dean of the Bapstist semanary. This is a common story for many pastors in Latin America. Resources are limited so they wear many hats.
-I have a host sister who speaks perfect English. I get to attend her graduation tomorrow, which I'm excited about. It will be fun to see real a real bonified Nicaraguan party - although she attends the American Christian school, so it will really be more of a cultural blend. Interesting and fun none-the-less. The way I hear it, Nicaraguans really know how to throw a party.
-My family has a maid and wireless internet. But I also take showers with a bucket and sleep on a matress with springs sticking up all over the place... nothing is really predicatble when you're on HNGR!

I could go on and on, but that is probably enough for now. As one final word of assurance to anyone worried about my safety, I have been told by several different people multiple times that Managua is considered the safest city in Central America if not in all of Latin America. So no te preoccupes!
The one thing I feel I could use the most prayer for is confidence. It is a lot of new people to meet and information to take in, and I find myself being pretty timid and unsure of myself at work. I know I will grow more and more comfortable as time passes, but I also have hope that the Lord can help me to be confident so that I can make the adjustment well.
Thanks for being interested in my weird little life! I'll try to post pictures soon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Plammy,

Great post thanks. Of course I will pray, but here is a tip: When you want confidence, just pretend you are arguing with your Dad :-)

El padre de la gringa es un gran
hombre! Peligro. Peligro.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pam, everything that you need for this journey God woven into you in your mother womb. Dig deep and everything you could ever desire will be at your figure tips to use for the glory of God.
love ya courtnay

12:35 AM  
Blogger MClauson said...

Hey Pamela you are going to be fine you are a strong confident woman and anything you put your mind too, you can solve the problem. It sounds beautiful and I am very excited for you still love tou and miss you.
Michelle

8:16 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

awesome!!

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home